The Overmind is an agent for playing StarCraft®: Brood War®, using BWAPI. Our agent combines both old and new AI techniques. At a high level, we use a shallow planner to enforce resource constraints and to ensure reasonable tech progression. Our microcontrollers use a combination of novel, threat-aware modifications to A* pathing and potential fields whose parameters were tuned using reinforcement learning.
See videos of the Overmind in action, below!
- More videos are now posted!
- The Overmind has won the AIIDE 2010 StarCraft Competition!
Videos will pop under when you click on them.
- A highlight from the final match, courtesy of Ben Weber. We're the Mutalisks (the flying dragon creatures).
- An overview of the UCB Overmind System, including a description of our high level strategy as well as some details about the techniques our
- Mutalisk hit and run, the Overmind's standard tactic for containing and wearing down its opponent.
- Learning to fight high templars, an illustration of Valhalla, the staging ground where the Overmind battles endlessly to automatically learn optimal combat parameters.
- A video showing Sparky the Wonder Drone, in their base, stealing their gas.
- Mutalisks against cloaked wraiths, a demonstration of how the Overmind sends overlords to join the battle when cloaked units are around.
- Mutalisks against Archons, describing the Overmind's targetting priorities and illustrating how it avoids taking damage until it believes it's strong enough to win a head-on fight.
- More videos coming soon!
- A full-length article on the Overmind is now available on Ars Technica!
- The Overmind has been mentioned in the October 30 issue of the New Scientist. (Subscription required.)
- The Overmind has gone international!
- The Overmind has been mentioned on Tom's Hardware.
- The Overmind has been mentioned on Fidgit.
- The Overmind has been mentioned on Kotaku.
- The Overmind's win and the results of the competition are described in The Escapist.
- The Overmind's win and the results of the competition have been Slashdotted!
- David Burkett: Mutalisks. Potential Fields. Target Selection.
- David Hall: Macro Mechanics. Base Defense. Infrastructure.
- Taylor Berk-Kirkpatrick: Pathing. Overlord Sensing.
- John Blitzer: Consultant.
- John DeNero: Initial Explorations.
- Haomiao Huang: Probabilistic Sensing and Threat Estimation.
- Eugene Ma: Infrastructure. Tech Tree. Scouting.
- Yewen "Evan" Pu: Sunken Colonies. Zerglings. Levity.
- Jie Tang: Zerglings. Sparky the Wonder Drone.
- Nicholas Hay: Resource management.
- Oriol Vinyals: Coach. Retired Pro.
- Jason Wolfe: Scheduling.
StarCraft® and Starcraft: BroodWar® are registered trademarks of Blizzard Entertainment, Inc.